Pages

Monday, September 2, 2013

A Point-to-Point Kayak Trip

The boys and I went on a point-to-point kayak trip this morning.  Usually we start and finish our kayak adventures in the same place, so this added some excitement by traversing new (to us) waters.  It also introduced the concept of "coordination," as we had to coordinate drop-off and pick-up times and locations with Mom.


We began our trip at a boat launch in the Susquehanna River, and planned to meet up with my wife at our town park, which is where we normally kayak.


It is in the kayak that I really know how much my kids are growing.  Our draft is getting quite deep.  And the two of them together weigh almost as much as me.


U.S. Route 40.  Another discussion on our voyage was "perspective," as in "we see this view almost every day, but usually we see it from bridge level."


Stopping to skip rocks on an island at the mouth of the Susquehanna River (Garrett Island).  Perryville, MD is in the background.


An old bridge support at the mouth of the Susquehanna River, with Havre de Grace, MD in the background.  I love the tree.


An Amtrak train crosses the Susquehanna River's most downriver bridge before her waters empty into the Chesapeake Bay.


Geese buzz our flank.


My younger son, who will do almost anything to forego a nap, fell asleep near the end of our trip...


Arriving at the town park, our voyage complete, we just had to wait a few minutes for Mom to pick us up.



3 comments:

  1. Good stuff! My poor boat has been hanging in the basement for over three years now. Time to sell, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barry - even though we live within a mile of the river and bay, it sometimes feels like a voyage just to the boat to the water. If it weren't for my kids, I might not kayak as often, so I understand your thoughts to sell your boat.

      Delete
  2. What a GREAT adventure for you and the boys! And a great learning opportunity, too! I've never kayaked, but I do enjoy a point-to-point hike if the logistics of pick-ups/drop-offs can be taken care of. There is something extra cool about it.

    That is a very cool location that tree found for itself to grow in!

    ReplyDelete