Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Welcome Home!

After visiting at "Camp Grandma" for the past two weeks, my wife and sons returned home yesterday. I really missed them and I took the day off from work today so we could spend some time together.  The boys and I went kayaking.  Our town's park is about two miles from home and has a nice access point to launch the kayak.    
 We have a sit-on-top kayak, which works real well as it allows both boys to ride with me while I paddle.  This was our first kayak adventure of the summer and, not being a weekend, we only saw two other boats in our vicinity.


Although cloudy, and with a few sprinkles, I love how the water and sky become almost one at the horizon.  The picture below is looking south from near the top of the Chesapeake Bay.


While on the water we saw an eagle.  It's not uncommon to see eagles here, but still impressive to see them somewhat up close.

The boys were pleased to see that the grape tomatoes are ripe for picking now that they are home.


After lunch, they helped me add fresh compost to one of the garden beds.  I plan to plant leafy greens in this bed in another month or so.  Peas and carrots grew in this bed during the spring.


While the boys and I were kayaking, my wife, who is much better with a camera than am I, caught this gold finch enjoying the sunflowers.  If I could only get her out on the kayak, she probably could have captured a nice picture of the eagle we saw...but until then, you'll just have to believe me when I say we saw an eagle.


1 comment:

  1. Goldfinches (and eagles, for that matter) are stunning. Simply stunning. That yellow always catches my eye. We hope they come in droves to our sunflowers which have not yet bloomed.

    I've never been kayaking, but it always looked fun. I am such a landlubber though...

    ReplyDelete